This post is in partnership with Aveda.
Beautiful Hair Starts with Aveda
Today I am excited to talk about my hair care routine! I get questions all the time about how I style my hair to give it volume, and how I keep it looking healthy and shiny all the time. Let me start out by saying this, great looking hair starts with high-quality haircare products. I first discovered Aveda products when I was in college. There was an Aveda salon literally right across the street from where I went to school. I got to try out first hand all the different products that Aveda has to offer, and I have been a loyal customer ever since that time.
I absolutely love big, voluminous hair, but my hair in it’s natural state is actually quite thin and fine. If I didn’t do anything to my hair it would be flat with a little wave to it. I used to be a blondie when I was a kid, but over the years my hair has gotten darker. I do highlight my hair a couple of times a year to keep it light. What else do I do to keep my hair healthy?
- Wash and condition hair regularly – I love using Aveda’s Shampure™ shampoo. It is light enough to use on a regular basis and the calming aroma just smells amazing. I condition my hair with Aveda’s Shampure™ Conditioner as well. The key to keeping my hair moisturized is to put lots of conditioner in my hair. This conditioner is rich enough to moisturize and detangle my hair, yet light enough to give my hair the volume I love.
- Don’t wash every day – Even though I love freshly cleaned hair, I don’t wash it every day. Washing your hair every day can cause it to become dry and brittle. In between shampoos I do use a good dry shampoo such as Aveda’s Shampure™ dry shampoo. Using a good dry shampoo is an important step between washes as it removes excess oil and impurities. When the ends of my hair become dry in between washings, I will also use Aveda’s Dry Conditioner. This effectively conditions, detangles, and softens the ends of my hair.
- Use a good heat protectant – Blowdrying and styling hair leaves it brittle and prone to breakage. I have tried many but I really like using Aveda’s Brilliant™ Damage Control™ heat protectant. While my hair is still wet I spray this on my hair to protect it from the harsh heat that blow drying and curling my hair endures.
- Use quality styling tools – Although these are not Aveda products, I can not live without my Dyson hairdryer and my T3 Twirl Convertible curling iron. Hands down these are the best styling products I have used!
- Finish hair to give it shine – Aveda’s Light Elements™ Smoothing Fluid is the perfect product to apply to my hair just after drying it, but before styling it. I also use Aveda’s Control Paste™ to help give my curls definition.
- Have hair trimmed regularly – I don’t get haircuts often, but I do like to have it trimmed every 12-16 weeks to keep the ends looking healthy. Where do I do this? The Douglas J. Aveda Salon in Ann Arbor, Michigan!
Douglas J. Aveda Salon, Ann Arbor, Michigan
I recently had the opportunity to try Aveda’s newest product, Texture Tonic. See the video below where I experience using Texture Tonic for the first time. You can also see how my hair looks after a full cut and color at this premiere Aveda salon in Michigan.
Overall I am really impressed how Texture Tonic adds volume and waves to my hair. This is definitely a product I will keep using. In addition to Texture Tonic, I also got to try Aveda’s Damage Remedy™ split end repair cream. As someone who curls my hair regularly, I love having this product to keep my hair looking healthy! And finally, Aveda’s Air Control™ light hold hairspray (not pictured in video) was the perfect finishing touch for my hair.
I hope today’s post has given you some insight as to why I like Aveda products and services, and why I have been using them for years! Aveda makes products for all hair types, not just thin and fine like my own. Now that you have seen how Aveda’s products work for my hair, I highly recommend checking out their website to see what products will work for your hair. You can also visit an Aveda salon near you to experience personally how Aveda can make your hair healthier too.
As always, thanks for looking!
xo | April
*This post contains affiliate links
Thank you Aveda for partnering with me on this post. All opinions however are my own.